Wednesday, January 12, 2011

People say I'm crazy...

I get that all the time.  I am pretty scattered when it comes to any one direction in my life.  I am a saddle fitter and body worker. I own CedarCreek Performance, so I teach, train, mentor and muck when needed.  If someone asks me what I do for a living I sort of get that "deer in the headlights" look. I wear many hats but my favorite one, that I pull on everyday, is that of horsewoman.  I have been thinking for some time that I want to focus my attention and skill in one direction. My goal being to utilize and employ all the lessons I have learned, with a clean slate...

Meet Max... (picture coming)

He is a 2 year old Paint (actually 2 in May) by the magnificent stallion, Unchippable. My plan with this blog is to document our journey from pasture to show pen utilizing the skills I have honed over years of unraveling problems and re building equine athletes.

Max is not the first horse I have ever started, there have been a few.  The first was Hildegaard, a dutch mare I met in Canada.  She picked me.  Called me all the way from the Great White North. I think she knew I needed her help.  She was a lovely partner to work with... I emphasis work "with" because my attempts to control and dominate the mare, to bend her towards my agenda in the beginning, were totally ignored.  Hilde made it known, in no uncertain terms, that she was to be asked... I didn't know how to do that.... Until I found Penny

Enter Penny Jones...

An amazing Horsewoman and mentor.  She said to me one day, "when I die and go to heaven, God's not going to ask me how many blue ribbons I won... He's going to ask- "what lessons did you learn from the animals I sent you?""  I still get teary thinking about how humbled I am by those words.
I listened, and from that day forward I had a new presence in my life... Horses

I want Max to benefit from  the lessons I have learned from the horses I have helped and who have helped me. I know he has something to teach... He's been calling me from the pages of Dreamhorse for days.  He's on his way here now.  Thank you Jill.
More to come Tuesday

9 comments:

  1. I am SO looking forward to following you on this journey! I can't wait to hear you put into words what it is that makes you tick. I believe that you will be amazed by how much more you will learn when you start documenting it for other people.

    Your #1 fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 fan... Longest supporter.... bestest student ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss Max so much but this is such an exciting opportunity for the both of you! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changing my profile name, no longer Hi Ho Silver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS...

    An amazing Horsewoman and mentor. She said to me one day, "when I die and go to heaven, God's not going to ask me how many blue ribbons I won... He's going to ask- "what lessons did you learn from the animals I sent you?"" I still get teary thinking about how humbled I am by those words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so excited to follow this blog and read about the inner working of your mind, and as Melissa said, what makes you tick. Very excited. And I want to meet this Max!!

    Can I be fan #2? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It reminds me a little bit of trying to finesse a toddler into making them think it was their idea.. Max has pretty much had the life of Riley living with his older friend and so for you to take him and teach him that he has to be respectful and that you are the leader is perfect for him in this stage of his life. It sounds like he enjoys his trailer rides too! LOL.. Love the blog, thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, you just made my cry with your quote from Penny. She and Kirk changed my life in many ways. I learned so much from her. I feel blessed to have been her student, I may not have had the fanciest of horses or the "fancy" high priced trainers, but what I recieved in return is priceless and life long. Thank you for sharing.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tara.
    Kirk and Penny changed my life. Even though we have drifted apart and our lives have moved away from one another, not a day goes by with my horses where I don't hear Penny's words. I love them beyond words and I am very thankful for their rolls in shaping my life.

    ReplyDelete