Thursday, January 20, 2011

Maximus, the little prince, and my adgenda... Not

Yesterday was my first day with Max.  I waited patiently for my farrier, Peter, to come so I could begin with Max.  I knew I wanted to balance his body but Jill had mentioned he was due for a trim so I waited.  It is always best to have the feet balanced and then work with the body.  Makes the work easier.  I had a plan and I was ready to begin.

I was thinking I would just head off into the arena and begin with Peggy Cummings "Connected Groundwork".  Not as straight forward as I thought.  Max has been living the life of a horse.  He has been in a pasture with an older companion. Perfect, right? Absolutely! I realized very quickly, however, that I needed to change my approach to these first steps with Max. 

I tried beginning with Peggy's "drawing the bow" and "combing" then moved into touching his cheek and neck with equal and opposing pressure and here is where we had some trouble. Max didn't like me touching him on or near his head.  His posture with me changed and he started using his head and neck like a battering ram.  He threw his weight around and shouldered into me.  I know to stand my ground but I realized we had to establish a level of respect before he was going to let me touch him and move him in any sort of connected manner.

Do over.... I sent Max out on the line.  I worked from his hip and had him move forward.  At first he was persistant about facing me and changing directons.  I continued to move him forward, staying at his hip.  Max was really mad at first, his reign as king was coming to a close. I probably worked him for 10-15 minutes walking and trotting before he stopped challenging me.  I brought Max to the barn and he was different.  More present.  He looked to me to move and he followed. I was able to put my hands on his head and rub his ears... whoa, cool...

My big lesson,  commit to a path with Max. Let go of the plans and roll with whatever comes....

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, a pathway versus a plan of action. Words I need to head as well.

    Cant wait to hear more, and to meet the cute little Chipface!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let go of the plans and roll with whatever comes.... "

    Hmmm, now that sounds an awful lot like "Ride the horse you have that day" Now where have I heard that before? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Melissa.... Well said, Grasshopper... :-)

    ReplyDelete